Forum
About STEARsoft

Login

Close

Forum thread: Number of students are limited to 36

Jeff
05 September 2013
23:12
Component: (stearsoft.co.uk/STEARsoft web interface/Palm-device)
Suggestion: I have bought the full version attendance register my Ipad. I am limited to register 36 learners per class. Our class exceed 40 learners. How do I add more learner names to a class on my Ipad.

Regards
Jeff
Marcus Butler (STEARsoft)
06 September 2013
14:07
Jeff,

Thank you for taking the time to post here.

I'm really sorry that this is a limititation due to the design of the software. Clearly this limit was ill-conceived as you're the second person reporting a situation with class sizes bigger than 36.

This means in the short term there is unfortunately no quick fix or solution. It would be reasonable for you to seek a refund from Apple in this instance... and I should probably make this limitation clear on the product description for the sake of others.

In the medium or longer term I could look at producing a version that can handle larger class sizes. The safest, quickest way to do this would be to produce a separate App that would not be compatible with the existing App and would not be able to synchronise with the PC version of STEARsoft - compatibility of data files is the issue.

Would this actually address your issue, or do you intend to synchronise with a PC, or maybe time is an issue and you want to start using something now...

Once again I apologise for what has seemingly been a show-stopping unexpected surprise.

Yours,

Marcus
Shawn
21 August 2014
05:36
I have the same issue! I teach PE and have well over 36 students in my classes. This app is perfect for me but now I can't even use it because I can't list all of my students. You guys have to increase the student number. I bought the full app and now it seems that I have wasted money on it. Please please find a way to increase the student number.
21 August 2014
08:13
Thank you Shawn for taking the time to post here. I have heard your plea. In the short term I have heard of people successfully splitting the class into 2 for registration... Not a proper final solution, but there you go.
Veronica Boulton
22 March 2016
04:08
I also would like to be able to have a larger class please. Will this be rectified soon?
22 March 2016
08:16
Thank you Veronica for your post and for raising the profile of this issue.

Although this is at the top of the list for things to address in the next release, a release isn't due that soon for iPad/iPhone. The next release (which is expected soon) is for Windows.

I hope to get something done for August or September but depending on other things it might not be until next year.

Yours,

Marcus
Richard Shorrocks
20 June 2016
21:58
Hi Jeff,

I have the same issue too. Just bought the full version as I was so impressed with the Lite version. We run a weekend theatre school with up to 60 students in each of the classes. They're not all actually in the same class as we split them into three groups of 20 but for registration purposes it is one big class. Can you suggest a way around this?

I don't need to synchronise with a PC and this is the only issue I have so if you are going to address it at some point that would be great.

Many thanks,
Richard
21 June 2016
22:43
Thank you Richard. Still intending to address this at some point.

Yours,

Marcus
03 September 2016
21:48
To keep you informed: Increasing the class size limit on iPhones and iPads is unfortunately not going to happen this year. It is still a priority issue to address, but various reasons mean this isn't happening as quickly as might have been hoped for. Sorry for this, and thank you for your patience.

Yours,

Marcus
Shawn
19 September 2016
18:04
What's going on with the letters for the other codes. I can't put any letters anymore. It comes up as a bunch of lines. Can you please fix this ASAP. I need to know what's students were excused, what students and doctors notes and what students who were dress cuts. I can't tell now because the letters have been replaced with a bunch of lines that look like a bar code.
20 September 2016
08:07
Dear Shawn,

Thank you very much for bringing this to my attention. I'm guessing you just upgraded your iOS to iOS10. Part of the graphics functionality is not supported by iOS10 unfortunately.  I am part way through re-writing that part to be iOS 10 compatible and will have an update out as soon as I can.

Thanks again for alerting me to this.

Yours,

Marcus
Shawn
20 September 2016
15:21
Yes I did just update to iOS 10. Please hurry on the update. I have grades due this week and I can't tell why I have marked off points for students. Thanks for your help.
20 September 2016
16:33
Dear Shawn,

I shall not delay needlessly.

In the mean time you can use the 'report' option at the top of a class sheet to give all this information.

Yours,

Marcus
Shawn
20 September 2016
17:10
The report works great with absences and tardys but it does not tell me who was an incomplete uniform, who didn't dress out, who made up their absence or who was on a doctors note. I use the letters to tell me all that information. Since I cannot see the letters, I don't know how many points to give or take off for their grade. This is why I'm kind of freaking out with grades due this week. Thanks for hearing me out.
20 September 2016
22:30
Eeek.  I hear you.  Sorry - the report lists the codes when attached to an absence (listed as absences coded absences) but not all the codes attached to attended marks, which yours clearly are.

There are another couple of options that may help you out (I hope):
-  If you have another iOS device (pre iOS10) you can do a 'Save backup data by email' (from the top screen) and then open this in STEARsoft on the other device.
- If you have access to a Windows PC you could install STEARsoft there and 'sync' the data to the PC for viewing and analysis.  If you do this, make sure you do an 'iPhone - Server' sync

If either of these options might be viable, let me know and I can possibly help further.

Yours,

Marcus
25 October 2016
15:24
Dear Shawn,

An update to the iPhone App was released yesterday that fixes the missing codes issue (version 3.5.1).

Thank you again for bringing this to my attention. Please do alert me to anything else you discover.

Thank you for your patience too.

Yours,

Marcus
Shawn
25 October 2016
16:10
Great thank you very much for the fix. I did however discover that when I try to input any codes into the box, it will not allow me to do so. I have to press and hold on the box for the next screen to pop up and then input the codes that way which takes a lot longer to do. Your help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
25 October 2016
17:18
Thank you Shawn for such a quick reply and for flagging up this other problem.
I've not quite followed what it is that isn't working, but it could be hardware-dependent? I've not found any issues in this area on the devices I have for testing (the 4 quick-code boxes are OK for me as is the copy button...). If you're able to describe exactly which feature you're trying to use and how it's failing I'd be very grateful.

Just to double check, is it something that previously worked (before the iOS 10 update)?

Many thanks.

Marcus
Shawn
25 October 2016
17:54
When I click on classes, then click on period 1 or period 2 for example and then the class comes up where I can see all of my students names. From there is where I normally input if a student was tardy or absent by clicking on the box under the given date next to the students name. Now it seems it is locked and I now have to hold on the box to get those codes where as before I just would click on the box over again until the right code popped up. Not the letters, just the built in slash or tardy sign or dash sign. This did work before the update occurred yesterday. I also cannot click on report or stats when I am in my classes
25 October 2016
21:18
Thank you Shawn for that full clarification. That makes complete sense to me now.

The clicking repeatedly on the box to cycle through present, tardy etc is hopefully explainable: This data is 'locked' as you describe for 'Historical' data - ie for sessions in the past before today (to try to guard against accidental changes while flicking/swiping back and forth to review past attendance). If this is happening for a session with today's date (highlighted), then please confirm this and let me know what hardware you are using (it's fine with what I am testing on), as it should behave as you want it to (and has done in the past) for current sessions.

Regarding the report and stats - this sounds less explainable.  Possibly explainable by a touch needing to be super-accurate and perhaps missing? Again, if you can verify this, knowledge of your hardware (which iPhone or iPad model you have) would help me try to reproduce the problem and solve it.

Thanks again for taking the time to report these things.

Yours,

Marcus
Shawn
25 October 2016
22:54
I am using an iPhone 7. It is working for me now. I have to barely touch it for it to work. Before I could tap it with no problem but now I have to give it a super light tap. But it works. Thanks.
26 October 2016
09:30
Dear Shawn,

Thank you for this further feedback. That's useful detail. I'll look into that in case there's something I can improve here.

Yours,
Marcus
12 November 2016
20:06
Dear Shawn,

Hopefully you have seen the update that fixes the problem you described. It was released in the iTunes store about a week ago, and all reports I've had have been favourable.

So thank you very much for all of your feedback. The issue you experienced was very poor and not at all intended. It was a hardware specific issue which unfortunately I'd not seen before releasing version 3.5.1 - when I found a 3D-touch iPhone and saw for myself what was happening I was shocked and felt quite embarrassed.  I'm hoping the version now in the iTunes store (3.5.2) addresses all of the iOS10 and new-hardware compatibility issues. There are no issues outstanding that I'm aware of anyway.

Thanks again for your posts and feedback.

Yours,

Marcus
Cedric Dorthe
11 February 2018
09:44
Hi,

I just bought the full version on my iPhone, and I just saw the bad surprise about the 36 students limit.... :-(((

Any news about this problem? Do I have a chance to have this corrected soon?

Sorry for my bad english...

Thanks for your help
Regards
Cedric
11 February 2018
17:38
Dear Cedric,

Thank you for your post.

There is a major update in development at the moment.  I shall put this higher up the priority list to try and get this included.

Yours,

Marcus
02 May 2018
12:17
Dear Cedric, Richard, Veronica, Shawn and Jeff,

The 36 students class limit in the STEARsoft iPhone App has finally be addressed.

The full version of the iPhone/iPad/iPod App was updated a few weeks ago and includes an option to increase the limit.

Go to 'Advanced Setup' on the main front page, then change the 'Max class size' limit to something of your choosing.

Note that increasing the class size limit changes the sizes of the databases.  This may cause a slight drop in performance (but unlikely to be noticed for moderate increases).

Also note that synchronising classes bigger than 36 students can only be done with the new Cloud-Server version of STEARsoft.  The downloadable 'Windows' version of STEARsoft server still only supports synchronising 36 students per class.

Thank you for your patience with this issue, and for raising the need to address it on the forum.

Yours,

Marcus
Shawn
26 July 2019
04:13
Any chance you guys will put this app on the google play store or galaxy store anytime soon?
27 July 2019
21:15
Dear Shawn,

Sorry. Not soon. It's still on the wish list, but too many other things above it at the moment, so I've not even started development.

However the Cloud Server option (launched a bit over a year ago) was in part intended to address schools/groups/individuals wishing to use STEARsoft on other platforms. The Cloud Server gives secure mobile web capability without having to be on the school (or home) network.  With efficient, non-bloated, simple web pages the speed and data-usage is suitable for such use.  I know it's not as nice as a dedicated App, but I mention it in case you weren't aware...

Yours,

Marcus

Please login to contribute to this thread.

Close